Monday 5 February 2007

As promised, using my many hours of watching the entries submitted to the Festival, here's the first part of my Top Ten ideas about what makes a good short film.

Disclaimer: I haven't made a short film and I think anyone who does is great. I'm approaching this from a purely critical stance, because you spot some patterns after watching the number of films we do. (Is that enough to avoid hate mail and snails pelted at my house?)

1. I like to call this the J K Rowling rule. (It used to be the Stephen King rule, but no-one really cares about him anymore.) Do not be afraid to edit! If you have even the kernel of a great story idea, drowning it in emotional monologues, the newest special effect or a 10 minute tracking shot through a toilet is not going to improve it. Some of the best short films are those that tell their story simply and effectively and get to the point. If you need 20 minutes, then use it. If you don't, cut!

2. There's a tiny, small-budget film with no big stars in it that flopped few years back. You probably haven't heard of it, but those who did see it could not get over the twist, which was so original and groundbreaking that film-makers have been unable to use it ever since. I'm talking about The Sixth Sense - did you know he was dead all along? Shocking, isn't it! I wish it had a bit more influence than it does. I could really do with more surprise death endings in my life.

Surprise Death Endings - Just Say No!

3. Along the same lines, the most important part of any short film is how it ends. One of the films that nearly made the cut last year was well-acted, atmospheric and had a great story. But the ending misjudged the tone completely and ruined all that good work. Conversely, a great ending can save a mediocre film - often, I don't make up my mind till I see the payoff, just to see if the punchline is worth it.

4. It's really hard to make a decent horror film. You can't out-gross, out-parody or out-nude Hollywood, because they've been round those tracks a few times. Last year, I think we received more horror films than any other genre and only ended up showing about 2 of them, both of which were slightly unusual in their approach. Scaring people is about more than chucking some ketchup at the camera - think about atmosphere, work within the cheap special effects you can use and don't make your characters act unreasonably just because they're in a scary movie.

5. Film-making is a serious business, that's for sure, but try to have a sense of humour about what you're doing. The winner and runners-up in 2006 all had their tongue in their cheek to some extent, and, though that may be more the personal taste of the judges, it does help the audience engage if you feel that the film-makers are having fun.

Part 2 tomorrow, I hope. Please comment if you agree, disagree or just want to kill me for dissing your favourite aspect of film!

Terrie

1 comment:

sanandreasfault said...

HEY! This is a great list - what happened to the 2nd part?!

hook it up man!