Monday 5 February 2007

packaging

Morning all - my name is Chris and along with Terrie and Rick, I'm part of the Angel Film Festival.

I've just returned from a 7 day skiing holiday, in the french alps (bliss) to find a huge pile of AFF entries sitting on my desk waiting for processing. Which is delightful! Processing new entries really is quite a highlight of my day... no quite honestly, I love it! Allow me to explain.

The scope of AFF is broad and accepts entries in almost any genre as long as they are under 25 minutes in length. In addition we don't charge an entry fee and as such we receive incredibly diverse selection of submissions; From experienced film makers with international recognition, student films to more rugged films made using only an isight & ibook. You can usually tell a lot about the film maker from the packaging - some simply arrive as unmarked silver DVDs with just their AFF # on the front, others have taken time to add logos and images to both the DVD and packaging. The more experienced festival entrants usually takes the time to include a CD of promo shots, some funky wrapping paper and a some form of stylized envelope / tin etc. Having processed over 600 entries so far and watched the resulting product I confidently conclude, the quality of the external packaging is in no way related to the quality of the end product.

That being said the more diverse the packaging the more interesting my morning routine becomes.

No comments: